Here are some tips on engaging in safe, pleasurable anal sex!
- Practice with a sex toy! If you’ve never explored your anus before, using a toy is a great way to get familiar with your body. You’ll have complete control and it’ll give you an idea of what to expect when engaging with a partner. Start with smaller toys first before moving onto larger ones, and don’t forget to use lube! There are a lot of awesome anal toys in different shapes and sizes at Good Vibrations (super sex positive shop), and the friendly staff will be more than happy to help you out!
- Be safe and clean! Use condoms and/or gloves to limit mixing of bodily fluids. There are lots of bacteria in the anus and from feces which can cause infections (like UTIs) and/or transmit STIs. Always use a new condom/glove when changing between orifices.
- LUBE, LUBE, LUBE!!! The tissues around the anus are sensitive and can only stretch so far. On top of that, there is no natural lubrication in the anus (like there is with the vagina). Because of this, USE LUBE when engaging in anal play. It’ll make it more pleasurable for everyone involved!
- Go slow and relax! When experiencing a new sexual encounter, it’ll help to start slowly to allow yourself to adapt to the new sensation. With anal sex, it’s even more important to relax your body to let your anus expand. Anal sex isn’t supposed to hurt, although it might feel like you have to take a dump.
- Change positions! Just like vaginal and oral sex, there are certain positions that may work better for you and/or your partner(s). Try different positions for anal sex too! For some, having the receiver sit on top of the giver (who is lying down on their back) is more comfortable than other positions because the receiver is able to better control insertion.
- Communicate! When engaging in any sexual activity (anal or not), be sure to communicate with your partner(s)! Guide them by telling them what you like or if something hurts. Don’t assume anything. When in doubt, ask!
- Sexpert Linda